How do you get your reader to trust you—without it feeling like just another marketing tactic?
You open up (<< see what I did there?)
about the eight-inch vertical scar that bisects your lower abdomen, how it got there, and what it reminds you to do, every time you remember that it’s there. **true story**
You make dorky jokes like the one above, and then take great pains to make sure nobody misses that dorky joke you just made. **guilty!**
You talk about your lifelong best friend, who taught you how to drink tequila and once filled every keyhole at your high school with welder’s putty, who was reckless and sensitive and infuriatingly stubborn but always made you laugh—until one day he went too far and you stopped talking to him for a year… and then he died. **yep :(**
You turn your brand into a megaphone for equality, instead of hiding behind a misguided sense of ‘professionalism’ and/or a reluctance to ‘get political.’ **waves frantically**
You pickin’ up what I’m layin’ down?
I send emails just like all the smarmy digital marketing “ninjas” (gag) tell me to. But I’m far too lazy to do it with any regularity, and I promise you, dear reader — I’m never gonna use a “tactic” on you.
*If I could send you snail mail, I totally would. But let’s stick with email for now, cause postage is a bitch.
I’ve been writing copy — and yes, convincing people to buy shit — since 2015.
And how do I do that? How can I rail against “marketing,” when marketing is pretty much the whole reason I have a job? How do I reconcile this icky-salesy feeling with my legit word-wielding talent and experience?
Whoa. Those are some heady questions for you to be asking me. We just met, after all.
But if you really want to get into it, let’s party.
Here’s the deal: We (and our customers) live in a world that’s choking on shouty Facebook comments, 8,736 unread messages, and just… being SOLD to, every goddamn second of the day, amiright? It stresses me out just writing about it.
But there’s an opportunity here, you see.
If you can pierce through all that noise and negativity, make your reader stop scrolling for a second and remember that they’re not alone — well, that’s the MOST VALUABLE THING YOU CAN GIVE THEM.
They’ll remember you, then. They’ll be grateful to you for saying something different and more meaningful than everybody else. They’ll trust you, because you’re talkin’ real talk, not blowing rainbows up their ass or glorifying Steve Jobs, even though Steve Jobs was kind of an asshole and everyone knows it.
Which brings me to my next point, and if you’re a suit-rocking dude-bro, you might want to avert your eyes.
The current landscape of Internet Marketing — and by extension, professional copywriting — is steeped in male-dominated systems of manipulation and tactics. It’s very data driven, which is not necessarily a bad thing — but when a conversion rate or the “ROI” is more important than the person on the other end of the screen… we’ve got a problem.
And then there are all these startups and swaggery entrepreneurs who don’t seem to be in the business of doing anything remarkable, except making lots of money and/or helping other people make lots of money — and they all recycle the same “best practices” and tactics that got us here in the first place.
Fuck that noise.
All of this comes back to trust. The Internet is full of multicultural, multi-gendered people from all different socioeconomic backgrounds, who don’t identify with the white, heteronormative narrative that’s dominated Internet Marketing.
So why would they listen to a brand who doesn’t listen to (or even acknowledge) them?
On the other hand, when people trust you, guess what they’re willing to do?
That’s right. They buy things from you. They subscribe to your email list, and they even open your emails, too! Because they’re honestly, legitimately interested in what you’re saying and/or selling.
I understand all of these things, and I bring that understanding into your business and ideal customers.
Here’s what happens when you bring me in to wrangle your words:
- You’ll experience my proprietary discovery process, which determines your brand’s unique positioning in the market, and how we want to talk about that to your peeps. When we’re done you’ll have a shiny new Customer Insight Map and a Content Style Guide that encapsulates your voice, tone, and positioning.
- I’ll draw on my experience in the world of startups — and yes, I’ve seen and used alllll the templates, systems, and techniques out there — to help ensure a smooth user experience. This is especially useful when it’s time to build out a launch sequence, or design an email series or sales funnel.
- I’ll create super-organized and crystal clear (read: anal retentive) process, complete with detailed timelines, a plan for day-today communication, and 100% transparency on where your project is at throughout our work together.
- If an About page is on your docket, you’ll get a bio that makes you cry and/or sing hallelujah (← I’ve got a streak to uphold.)
- You’ll be treated to an opinionated rant (or seven) on the bullshit, jargony, “pick up artist” style copywriting we’ve been taught we “have” to do. (I’ll try to keep those to a minimum, but sometimes I just can’t help it.)
- You may or may not be graced with a cameo appearance by my cat-sidekick, Henry (video calls only).